Summer ushers in poolside parties and lazy nights sitting on the deck. These events are even better with a cocktail in hand! Here are five recipes for summer cocktails and a frozen treat.
- 1 scant ounce minted simple syrup (see recipe below)
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 2 ounces bourbon (such as Woodford Reserve)
- Fresh mint sprig, for garnish
In highball glass or silver Julep cup, add minted simple syrup, then 1 cup crushed ice, bourbon and splash of water. Add enough of remaining ice to almost fill glass. Stir well and garnish with mint sprig.
Minted Simple Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Chop mint. In a saucepan bring sugar, water and mint to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer syrup, undisturbed, two minutes. Pour syrup through a fine sieve, pressing hard on solids, and cool. Syrup keeps, covered and chilled, two weeks.
—Courtesy of epicurious.com
2. Voli Vodka Popsicles →
What better way to enjoy a cool treat than with a splash of vodka. And with less than 100 calories, it’s a guilt-free indulgence. Each recipe makes two popsicles.
Slim Berry Pop
- 1 1/2 ounces Voli Lyte (or other vodka)
- 1 cup of mixed berries
- (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)
- 2 1/2 ounces Master of Mixers Sweet and Sour Lite
- 1 ounce water
Combine blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries in a shaker. Add Voli vodka, Sweet and Sour mix and water. Shake well. Pour into popsicle containers and freeze till firm.
Strawberry Vodka Pop
- 1 1/2 ounces Voli Lyte vodka
- 3 ounces Master of Mixers Sweet and Sour Lite
- 3 ounces Master of Mixers Strawberry Mixer
- 1 ounce water
In a shaker, add all ingredients. Shake well and pour into popsicle containers. Freeze until firm.
3. Skip & Go Naked →
Reader Debbie Johnson submitted this recipe for the ultimate party drink of the summer.
- 12 ounces Sprite, ginger ale or club soda
- 6 ounces frozen concentrate limeade or lemonade
- 6 ounces vodka or whiskey (use the cheap stuff for this!)
Mix ingredients in a pitcher and add ice. Serve and enjoy (preferably on a float somewhere on the water!)
4. Flirtini →
Reader Shannon Wright of Alpharetta says this drink is perfect in hot weather…and even better when you make it using half juice and half vodka.
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup vodka
- Splash champagne
Mix ingredients and pour over crushed ice!
5. Dark & Stormy →
A favorite of production manager Kelly Brooks, this drink is simply a mixture of dark rum and ginger beer. Use your favorite mixes or try Kelly’s favorites – Gosling’s Bermuda Black Rum and Gosling’s Ginger Beer.
- 60 ml dark rum
- 120 ml ginger beer
- Lime slice
Pour rum into a highball glass over ice. Pour the ginger beer over the rum. Squeeze in the lime wedge and drop into the drink.