Simple recipes to solve the ‘Mom, I’m hungry’ blues
Hungry teenagers in the house? Fill them up with these quick and healthy recipes from Shannon Marsh, the Cooking School Specialist from Harry’s Farmer’s Market in Alpharetta.
Oven-Roasted Fries with Rosemary
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 pounds unpeeled russet potatoes or purple potatoes, scrubbed, cut lengthwise into 1/2- to 1/3-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions: Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss potato wedges with oil on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle potato wedges with salt and pepper; spread in single layer on baking sheet. Roast potato wedges until tender and brown in spots, turning occasionally, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Nuts & Bolts Snack Mix
Makes: 16 servings
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup cashew pieces
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 4 cups mini pretzels
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- or Earth Balance spread
- 4 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Instructions: Preheat oven to 225°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, combine pecans, cashews, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, rice cereal, and pretzels. Melt butter and add Worcestershire sauce, pour over dry ingredients and mix well. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool completely then store in airtight bags.
Makes: 1 to 2 servings
Adding ground flax offers a healthful boost of omega 3’s, fiber and protein. Smoothies are great alternatives to milkshakes, satisfying the desire for something sweet, icy cold and creamy.
- 1 large ripe organic banana, peeled
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (optional)
- ½ cup soy yogurt
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 scoop Whey protein powder (or other vegetable protein powder)
- Ground nutmeg
Instructions: Blend all ingredients except nutmeg in blender until smooth. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg and serve.